- Flexicarb is a pure exfoliated graphite material exhibiting excellent sealing material, withstanding a wide range of temperatures, pressures and chemicals.
- This homogeneous material is free of respirable fibers, binders and additives. Standard grades are 95% to 98% pure, with a nuclear grade available at 99.9% purity.
- Flexicarb is extremely conformable giving it the ability to flow into flange surface imperfections. Its low permeability and chemical resistance make it an ideal choice as a sealing material.
- The high purity of Flexicarb is chemically inert to most media. (Note its limitations on oxidizing compounds.)
- Flexicarb covers a wide temperature spectrum, from cryogenics through elevated temperatures. It can be supplied with an inorganic passivating inhibitor to increase its oxidation and corrosion resistance. Recent experiences and tests have shown that Flexicarb will oxidize over time. Care should be taken when considering the use of Flexicarb foil for applications above 330C (650F).
Flexicarb tanged steel reinforced graphite is a laminate sheet material of graphite foil layers mechanically bonded to a 0.1 mm (0.004”) thick 316 stainless steel tanged core. The core enhances the mechanical strength of the graphite foil. Flexicarb ST is suitable for sealing steam, water, gasses, hydrocarbons, alkalis and chemicals. It is not recommended for use on glass-lined, bronze or aluminum flanges.
Flexicarb steel reinforced (SR) is a high performance laminate comprising of graphite foil chemically bonded to each face of a 0.05mm (0.002”) 316 stainless steel substrate. SR possesses good mechanical properties and is suitable for sealing steam, water, gases, oils, hydrocarbons, alkalis.
Flexicarb wire reinforced is a graphite sheet with a 316 stainless steel woven wire mesh. Flexicarb WR is suitable for low pressure applications.
Flexicarb NR is a graphite laminate consisting of graphite foil with a nickel core 13 microns (0.005”) thick. The bonding agent is a high temperature, chemical resistant nitrile phenolic adhesive.
Temperature Range for Flexicarb Material
Cryogenics to 700C (1292F) ia an inert or reducing atmosphere. Cryogenics to 400C (750F) in and oxidizing atmosphere.*
Pressure Range for Flexicarb Material
Recommended for Class 150 and 300 applications for all above except Flexicarb WR which is recommended for Class 150 only.